Study in Australia
Australia is a melting pot of cultures. From its aboriginal beginnings to British and Irish influences and the immigration from Europe and Asia. the foundation of Australia is laid on diversity – from social to geographical ! A land of opportunities, the place is full of avenues for students interested in varied disciplines. From specializations to interdisciplinary studies, the education system encourages students to explore their interests and understand where their passion lies. Home to some of the great universities in the world, Australia has a deep culture of collaboration, for instance you can easily see projects like a research project where anthropologists, psychologists, engineers and designers come together towards creating solutions for a better human existence. From the STEM – Science, Technology, Engineering and Math – to the liberal arts and humanities, there are courses available for everything!
Apart from the academic prestige, there is quite a lot to experience, from the diverse communities to landmarks like the Sydney Opera house, the Sydney Harbour Bridge and geographical spots like the Great Barrier Reef and Bondi Beach. Academic excellence isn’t limited to learning from books and professors, but truly experiences and getting involved in the community life. It is about understanding people, gaps in creating better conditions for human life, and trying to contribute what you can through a pragmatic academic approach, that’s what Australian education is known for !
Why choose Australia ?
- Most Preferred Destination :Australia is currently the third most popular destination for Indian and international students to study abroad. Over 5,00,000 students from more than 190 countries study abroad in Australia. There are 5 out of the top 100 universities in the world, 5 out of the 30 “best student cities” and the “most livable cities” in the world in Australia. Universities are increasing the number of international student enrollments every year. In the National Strategy for International Education 2025 released by the Australian Government, it recognizes the importance of engaging through innovative transnational or cross-border education.
- Global Recognition :Australian Education is recognized globally. Australia has at least one university in the top 50 worldwide across the study areas of Natural Sciences & Mathematics, Life & Agricultural Sciences, Clinical Medicine & Pharmacy, Physics and many more. Graduates from Australia have been very successful in landing jobs and a countless number hold prominent positions worldwide. You could be one of them.
- High Quality of Education :Institutions deliver practical and career-oriented training, thus upping the international career prospects once students graduate. Australian institutions have world-class teaching, training, and research facilities. You want state-of-the-art labs and classrooms, along with well-stocked libraries, and outstanding programs? Well, look no further. Most of the Australian universities and colleges are accredited by world’s leading international accrediting bodies (considered gold standard in engineering, management and others) like AACSB, EQUIS, Washington Accord, Sydney Accord, Dublin Accord among others. The country recognizes its strengths and potential in education and constantly works towards a sustainable education portfolio by understanding and aligning their approach to student needs and expectations. This makes it a welcome and fruitful experience for international students.
- Diversity of Education :Institutions in Australia offer a wide variety of courses and degrees, making it easy to find what every student wants without compromising. The Universities offer courses across the variety of subjects and academic fields: 22000 courses, 1100 institutions. Discover a diverse range of courses in fields like Arts & Humanities, Education, Law, Psychology, Business & Economics, Clinical, pre-clinical & health, Computer Science, Engineering & Technology, Life Sciences, Physical Sciences, Sports Psychology, Social sciences and many more.
- Affordable cost of Living :You could be enjoying a great lifestyle at an affordable cost. At the forefront of technology, research and innovation, one of the most appealing aspects of the country for international students is the quality of scientific research. Australia is at the forefront of new technology and innovations, allowing students to take advantage of technology and research resources. The education system focuses on teamwork, analytical thinking and problem-solving. Studies show that $ 5 billion is dedicated to research and development in the country. Just in case you didn’t know, Wi-Fi, Google Maps, ultrasound scanner, the electronic pacemaker and permaculture, are all Australian inventions!
- Great Scholarships :Australian Government and Australian Universities provide a large number of scholarships for deserving, exemplary international students with great academics wanting to study in Australia. Did you know that Australia Government invests more than $200,000,000 in international scholarships through initiatives like Australia Awards, Endeavour scholarships and fellowships, International scholarships sponsored by Australian Government? These apart from the plethora of scholarships awarded by individual universities and colleges, make studying in Australia affordable.
- One of the happiest countries in the World and Great place to live in :Australia is among the world’s 10 happiest countries, according to a United Nations report. Australia has a fascinating culture of engaging in activities such as sports, wildlife, music, art and much more.
- Study-work opportunity :Australia is one of the few countries that have favorable study work rights. Legally, international students are allowed to work up to 40 hours in a fortnight while the semester is on and full-time during vacations. Once you complete your bachelor’s or masters, you could be eligible for a Post Study Work Permit. And if you’re married, your spouse will be legally allowed to work full-time while you study. Statistics show that the International education sector supports 130,700 jobs annually.
- Cultural Diversity :Australia has a multicultural society. In fact, 47% of the population of the country was born outside Australia. And you can meet a lot of Indian students there. Indian students like to choose study abroad in Australia for higher education.
- Friendliness and safety : The country provides a safe environment for international students and a high quality of life in a multicultural environment.
Education System :
Australia has no dearth of study options for international students. Looking for a degree in advertising? You got it! Sports management? No problem! Of course, with more than 22,000 courses from 1,100 institutions to choose from, it’s hardly a surprise.
Australia is open for international students at any level:
- Primary and secondary school
- Vocational Education and training (VET)
- English language courses
- Higher Education: Bachelor degree, Master programs, Doctorate degree.
- Australian education system is distinguished from many other countries by the Australian Qualifications Framework (AQF)
No matter what level of education you’d like to pursue, you can rest assured in the fact that quality is a guarantee. Australia’s government protects the rights of international students while promoting quality education and the variety of study options.
Australian Government and Australian Universities provide a large number of scholarships for deserving, bright international students with great academics wanting to study in Australia. These scholarships sometimes cover not just tuition but also living and travel expenses. If you’ve done very well academically, you could be considered for scholarship automatically, while a few universities require successful admission and a couple more documents before appraisal. Like everything else, it’s best to apply well in advance since the number of applications every year is very high. Each of the six states, as also the individual universities and the Australian government award scholarships, grants, bursaries to meritorious students to support students financially with their studies in Australia.
- Australia Awards: The Australia Awards aim to promote knowledge, education links, and enduring ties through Australia’s extensive scholarship programs.
- Australian Government Research Training Program (RTP): Applications for Research Training Program (RTP) directly to a participating university.
- Australia APEC Women in Research Fellowship: The Australia APEC Women in Research Fellowships are open to high-achieving female researchers from APEC economies for research opportunities in partnership with Australian education and research institutions.
Application Procedure :
Your application process for Australia can be summed up in a simple 7-step process. 7 Steps to Study in Australia:
- Free Counseling : Explore over 22000 courses across 1100 institutions. Attend free counseling with Pacific Education’s expert counselors to identify the different options you have available. Discover fees and scholarships for international students and get free coaching for IELTS/ TOEFL/ PTE from a Gold IELTS partner like Pacific Education.
- Application for Admission :Chosen your preferred program? Get more information on the university and your course. Know the documents and requirements to apply for your program.
- Fees, Scholarship & Financial Assistance :Explore the estimated cost and fees of your preferred programs and fees. Get information on scholarships and financial assistance available to international students with strong academics.
- Offer Letter : It’s time to start preparing your application. Submit application to receive the offer of admission. Secure the Confirmation of Enrollment (CoE) for your program from the university post the screening process by the university.
- Apply for Your Student Visa :Get complete guidance and support for the entire visa process. It includes process like filling the application, preparing the financial statements, as also preparations for mock interviews and more.
- Pre-Departure : Attend pre-departure workshop and orientation that provides you insights into the various facets of student’s life. It also allows you to meet other students and parents heading the same university and country.
- Flight to Australia : The world of big opportunities lies ahead! Get post-departure support and assistance from the Pacific Education community and network to help you in a comfortable transition to begin your international education.
Visa Process :
The visa application process may appear long and complicated and you won’t be wrong. But that’s exactly why we’re here – to help guide you through the entire process. The following documents are what you’ll need to lodge your visa (a few extras may be necessary) :
- Application form (Student’s details must be exactly same as in passport)
- 10th Mark sheet and certificate
- 12th Mark sheet and certificate
- English Proficiency Document
- Statement of Purpose
- Syllabus (if applying for credit exemption)
- Work Experience letter and salary statement (if applicable)
- Marriage Certificate (if applicable)
- Spouse academics (if applicable)
- Spouse current activity proof (if applicable)
- A medical checkup is also mandatory
- Diploma/Degree Mark Sheets (all semesters including backlogs) and degree course completion certificate
- Provisional/Degree Certificate (must mention the class, certificate should have been issued by the University)
- Letter of instructions (for some Universities only)
- Supporting documents for gap (if gap is longer than a year)
- Copy of Passport
- Application fees (if applicable)
- Name Change Affidavit (if applicable)
Post-Study Work Visa (PSW) :
Do you plan to work in Australia after your studies? Australian government offers Post Study Work Stream (PSW) for working in Australia to eligible graduates of higher education degree. As an international student, you’ll need to apply for a Post-Study Work Visa (PSW) that allows successful applicants you to stay and work in Australia for a visa period of two, three or four years’ duration, depending on the highest educational qualification you have obtained.
Firstly, to be eligible for the post-study work visa, you must have been conferred an eligible degree level qualification from an Australian University not more than 6 months back. An eligible degree level qualification is :
- Bachelor degree
- Bachelor (Honour’s) degree
- Masters by coursework degree
- Masters (extended) degree
- Masters by research degree
- Doctoral degree
Secondly, you should have at least two years of academic study in Australia at the Bachelors level or above. Further, the course must have been undertaken or offered by accredited Australian Education providers and registered with Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Course for Overseas Students. Additionally, the course should not have completed in less than 16 months.
Employment Prospects :
Student visas will allow you to work up to 40 hours a fortnight during the semester and full time during vacations. When you are still a student, Australia can offer you to work for such industries as :
- Retail Stores – Supermarkets, Department Stores and Clothing Stores
- Hotel and restaurant business – cafes, bars and restaurants
- Tourism – Hotels
- Agriculture – Farming and Fruit Collection
- Sales and Telemarketing
- Administrative and clerical positions
But if you already have work experience and other professional qualifications, you can find work in your field as well. Once you complete a Bachelor, Master, or PhD degree, you are eligible for a Post-Study Work permit under the Temporary Graduate visa. This allows you stay back in Australia temporarily after your studies to gain practical experience working in your field. Or you could also head off to any other country to seek employment as the Australian degree is highly regarded all over the world.
Cost of Education :
Australia is a popular as an affordable international education destination because the cost of education and cost of living are relatively low compared to destinations like USA and UK. The cost of education, however, varies depending on the city, university and course. The following is an estimate of the study costs that is expected in Australia. While these are the average tuition fees for international students, it may vary depending on the institution and level of study.
Education Program :
- Undergraduate students
- Masters Degree
Average tuition costs ($AU) p.a. :
- AU$15000 to $30000
- AU$20,000 to $37,000
Cost of Living :
The minimum cost of living as per the Department of Home Affairs for a student is a minimum of AU$ 20000 each year alone. Cost of living in Australia further includes accommodation and other living expenses. Here is an estimate of the cost associated with living in Australia.
- Hostels and Guesthouses – $90 to $150 per week
- Shared Rental – $85 to $215 per week
- On campus – $90 to $280 per week
- Home stay – $235 to $325 per week
- Rental – $165 to $440 per week
- Boarding schools – $11,000 to $22,000 a year
Other living expenses :
- Groceries and eating out – $80 to $280 per week
- Gas, electricity – $35 to $140 per week
- Phone and Internet – $20 to $55 per week
- Public transport – $15 to $55 per week
- Car (after purchase) – $150 to $260 per week
- Entertainment – $80 to $150 per week